Mycological collection at the department of plant protection [EAA]

History

In 1922 the Phytopathological Experimental Station at the Tartu University was established by the professor of botanyTeodor Bucholtz (1872-1924). The mycological collection was necessary for determination of local plant diseases and it started with purchase of ca 2500 specimens microfungi collected by A.Bäumler mainly in Slovakia. Later the collection was supplemented with local material and by acquisitions and donations from several European countries, with exsiccates and specimens for comparison. The most outstanding European mycologists represented in the collection are E. Kari, A. Kirulis, K. Linkola, F. Petrak, J Smarods, K. Stares and others. The collection also includes the herbarium of T. Bucholtz (almost 5,000 specimens) and the fungi collected by E. Lep(p)ik largely from Estonia in 1922 – 1944. In the last half-century fungi have been gathered from Estonia by K. Kivi, P. Põldmaa, A.-L. Sõmermaa and others. Exciccates from elsewhere account for about half of about 23,000 collection specimens. Comprehensive historical review of the collection was compiled by E. Parmasto (2011).

At present ca 23,050 items have been included in the joint database of the Estonian fungal collections (http://natarc.ut.en/seenekogud.php). About 100 research papers and almost 300 booklets on plant protection have been completed on the basis of this herbarium material (mainly up to 1943).

Library

Herbarium harbours perhaps the first scientific mycological library in Estonia. (790 books and more than 10 periodicals) More information is available in online catalogue ESTER (https://www.ester.ee/search~S52)

Contact person: Kadri Pärtel (kadri.partel@emu.ee)
Address: Mycological Herbarium,
Institute of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences.
Kreutzwaldi 5, 51014 Tartu, Estonia.
Tel. +372 7 311 895

18/12/2016
© 2017 EMU Loodusteaduslikud kogud Kontakt: kogud [ät] emu.ee